Cybercrime is a criminal activity which is carried on by the use of computers and the Internet. Some of the common cyber crimes are hacking, cyber stalking, denial of service attack(DoS), virus dissemination, software piracy, credit card fraud & phishing.
To tackle the issue of cyber crimes, CIDs (Criminal Investigation Departments) of various cities opened up Cyber Crime Cells in different cities. The Information Technology Act of India states clearly that when a cyber crime has been committed, it has a global jurisdiction. and hence a complaint can be filed at any cyber cell.
Step by Step Procedures to File a Cyber Crime Complaint
Step 1 -One may need to provide name, mailing address & telephone number along with an application letter addressing the head of a cyber crime investigation cellwhen filing a complaint.
Step 2-One must provide certain documents in order to register a complaint. List of documents varies with the type of cyber crime.
Documents / Information You Need to Provide while Filing a Hacking Complaint
In the case of hacking, the following information should be provided:
- Server Logs
- A copy of the defaced web page in soft copy as well as hard copy format, if victim’s website is defaced
If data are compromised on the victim’s server or computer or any other network equipment, soft copy of original data and soft copy of compromised data.
- Access control mechanism details i.e.- Who had the access to the computer or email of the victim?
- List of suspects if the victim is having any suspicion on anyone.
- All relevant information leading to the answers to following questions.
- What is compromised?
- Who might have compromised the system?
- When was the system compromised?
- Why might have been the system compromised?
- Where is the impact of the attack-identifying the target system from the network?
- How many systems have been compromised by the attack?
Documents / Information You Need to Provide while Filing an Email Related Cyber Crime Complaint
In the case of e-mail abuse, vulgar e-mail, etc. the following information should be provided:
- The extended headers of offending e-mail and
- The offending e-mail from
Contact information of different Cyber Cells
CBI Cyber Crime Cell:Superintendent of Police,Cyber Crime Investigation CellCentral Bureau of Investigation,5th Floor, Block No.3,CGO Complex,Lodhi Road,New Delhi – 3Contact Details:+91-11-4362203, 011-26851998011-26515229, +91-11-4392424Web site:http://cbi.nic.in/Asst. Commissioner of Police,
Cyber Crime Cell,
EOW, Crime Branch,
Police Training School,
New Delhi-110 017
Address:3rd Floor, Police Commissioner OfficeNear Court Naka,Thane West,Thane 400601.Contact Details: +91-22-25424444Web site:www.thanepolice.orgE-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- for whole of the Karnataka
Address:Cyber Crime Police StationC.O.D Headquarters,Carlton House,# 1, Palace Road,Bangalore – 560 001
Contact Details:+91-80-2220 1026+91-80-2294 3050+91-80-2238 7611 (FAX)Web site:http://www.cyberpolicebangalore.nic.in/
Email-id: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address:Cyber Crime Police StationCrime Investigation Department,3rd Floor, D.G.P. officeLakdikapool,Hyderabad – 500004Contact Details:+91-40-2324 0663+91-40-2785 2274+91-40-2785 2040+91-40-2329 7474 (Fax)Web site:http://www.cidap.gov.in/cybercrimes.aspx
E-mail id: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org_hyd@hyd.appolice.gov.in
- Pune: Deputy Commissioner of Police(Crime
- Jharkhand ; IG-CID,Organized Crime
- Haryana ; Cyber Crime and Technical Investigation Cell,
- Jammu: SSP,Crime
- MEghalaya; SCRB,Superintendent of Police
- Bihar: Cyber Crime Investigation Unit
- U.P: Cyber Complaints Redressal Cell
- Uttarakhand: Special Task Force Office